Goal: Connect the 3 individual fern prints in a way that makes them a comfortable, natural threesome. Can we say Three Musketeers? All for one and one for all?
The first idea came so easily it seemed like a gimme: Combine fabrics from the adjacent prints to fill the gaps in height. I like the simplicity of the check and the fusion it creates. The next challenge took a bit more. I needed a fabric that would bridge each of the pairs of adjacent prints and I wanted a commercial fabric — no more painting for me. I found the first one in my stash. It’s a piece of Jane Sassaman-designed fabric that a friend gave me a quarter yard of. Lucky me. I cut two 2″ strips and pieced it in.
The second fabric was not in my studio but at the second store I went to.
And here is the completed top:
This is the 3rd quilt I will have created using the woodwardia fern — see the first 2 in my Art Quilt Gallery. This top measures 50″ x 67″ — my largest art quilt to date. It was not planned at all that the quilts would have 1, 2 and then 3 prints in them, it just happened that way. A bit of serendipity I’m enjoying. But I digress.
I’ve been thinking for some time about how I would quilt this piece. My riff on 3 will continue. Stay tuned.