but let’s face it, it’s part of life. I do my best to feel the sting of it and then let it go.
I received a bit of that sting yesterday when I learned that Woodwardia Wonder was rejected for an upcoming exhibit. I have been working on this piece since last December and I haven’t been able to share it here — one of the rules was that the work submitted for entry could not be published in any way before learning about acceptance or rejection for the exhibit. Now I can share it.
This quilt started with one of my favorite things to do — a sun print. Here it is, Setacolor Pernod yellow paint applied and fern frond firmly pinned in place.
Detail: that’s rice and rock salt scattered over the paint. Applique pins secure the tips of each leaf.
When dry, the fern, rice and salt are removed and the fabric is pressed with a hot iron. Now for the thread painting. I use a medium-weight tear-away stabilizer and copper-colored cotton thread to define the leaf clearly.
By mid-March I had completed the quilting. Here is the piece being blocked.
And then there are those beds to consider. Some pieces just yell “BEADS!” at me during the quilting process. I have to listen to that.
I bound and beaded it, then put the final touch on — metallic cooper paint defines the stem. The piece was completed and photographed by the end of March.
I’ll let you know the first time it has a public showing. Until then, I have another art quilt almost done.